Singapore Power – EMA Initiatives To Cultivate Energy Efficient Habits Among Students
29 Oct 2014
The “Energy Heroes: It’s Your Power!” campaign kicks off with new mascot, mobile exhibition, activity kits and short film competition
1. Students can learn to make energy efficiency a way of life in a fun new campaign called “Energy Heroes: It’s Your Power!”. Helmed by Zap, a cat mascot, students aged 10 – 14 can look forward to activity toolkits to help them start saving energy. They can also take part in an interactive exhibit coming to their schools from 2015. For students from polytechnics and universities, a film competition will be held to encourage energy efficiency.
2. On why Singapore Power and the Energy Market Authority (EMA) want to raise energy efficiency awareness amongst students, Mr Chee Hong Tat, Chief Executive of EMA, explained that: “Saving energy is one of the best ways to conserve limited resources and reduce our carbon footprint. By working together, EMA and Singapore Power want to help raise awareness among students and involve them in our efforts to improve energy efficiency in Singapore.”
3. Mr Wong Kim Yin, Group CEO of Singapore Power, said: “Children and youth are leading agents of future trends in energy consumption. Through this campaign, we aim to inculcate awareness and good practices on energy efficiency in children and youth, and hope that through them, we can encourage the community to be more aware of their energy consumption patterns and make prudent choices.”
4. One of the initiatives unveiled by SP-EMA is the “Energy Heroes! – The Mobile Exhibition”. It includes games such as “Energy Squash" where students identify “energy-zapping” appliances such as air-conditioners or clothes dryers, and go on adventures to “squash” them.
5. This aims to engage some 16,000 students across various schools in 2015. Schools interested in the Mobile Exhibition can contact SP’s Electricity Efficiency Centre at email email@example.com or call 6378 8293.
See Annex for more details on the Mobile Exhibition.
6. School students who participate in the Mobile Exhibition will receive an Activity Kit, called Zap’s Power Pack. The Kit comprises a guidebook, fridge magnets and a collar pin. The Activity Kit is designed to reinforce the energy efficiency tips that students will learn about at the Mobile Exhibition.
Short Film Competition
7. Students interested in film making can take part in a short film competition to be held in 2015. This will allow them to hone their creativity, skills and capability by creating films about energy efficiency. More information on the competition will be published on www.singaporepower.com.sg in due course.
– END –
About Singapore Power
Singapore Power Group (SP) is a leading energy utility group in the Asia Pacific. It owns and operates electricity and gas transmission and distribution businesses in Singapore and Australia. More than 1.4 million industrial, commercial and residential customers in Singapore benefit from SP’s world-class transmission, distribution and market support services. The networks in Singapore are amongst the most reliable and cost-effective worldwide.
About the Energy Market Authority
The Energy Market Authority (EMA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry. Its main goals are to ensure a reliable and secure energy supply, promote effective competition in the energy market and develop a dynamic energy sector in Singapore. Through its work, the EMA seeks to forge a progressive energy landscape for sustained growth. Please visit our website www.ema.gov.sg for more information.
Back to Top