A A
Energy Flows
  • Singapore's imports of energy products grew by 7.4% from 176.3 Mtoe in 2016 to 189.3 Mtoe in 2017. The exports of energy products registered a 3.3% increase from 99.3 Mtoe in 2016 to 102.6 Mtoe in 2017. The bulk of energy imports and exports were Petroleum Products.
  • Imports of Natural Gas (NG) increased by 2.0% from 9.7 Mtoe in 2016 to 9.9 Mtoe in 2017, with Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) accounting for 27.6% of NG imports.
  • Electricity generation rose by 1.2% from 51.6 TWh in 2016 to 52.2 TWh in 2017. In 2017, NG accounted for 95.2% of the fuel mix. Main Power Producers in Singapore accounted for 92.4% of total electricity generated. The remaining 7.6% was attributed to Autoproducers.
  • Total electricity generation capacity in Singapore was 13,614.4 MW as at end March 2018. More than three quarters (10,508.2 MW or 77.2% of total capacity) was attributed to Combined Cycle Gas Turbines, Co-Generation Plants and/or Tri-Generation Plants.
  • Electricity consumption grew by 2.1% from 48.6 TWh in 2016 to 49.6 TWh in 2017. Industrial-related sectors, Commerce & Services-related sectors and Households comprised 43.3%, 35.9% and 14.7% of total consumption respectively.
  • End-users' consumption of NG increased by 5.8%, from 56,949.2 TJ in 2016 to 60,226.6 TJ in 2017, due to stronger demand by the Industrial-related sector.
Solar and Other Energy Statistics
  • While Grid-connected installed capacity grew sharply from 7.7 MWac in 2012 to 96.7 MWac in 2016, its growth had moderated recently and total installed capacity stood at 114.8 MWac in 1Q 2018. This growth is likely to increase. The Housing & Development Board (HDB) and the Economic Development Board (EDB) are jointly spearheading the acceleration of the deployment of solar PV systems in Singapore through the SolarNova project, which was launched in 2014. As part of this effort, three solar leasing tenders have been called to-date. Singapore is expected to reach the committed solar PV capacity of 350 MWp via this project by 2020.
  • As at end 1Q 2018, the west region of Singapore had the highest concentration of solar PV, with a total capacity of 46.0 MWac (40.1%) distributed across 456 installations.
  • Singapore's Grid Emission Factor (GEF), which measures emissions per unit of electricity generated, remained relatively constant in 2017 at 0.4192 kg CO2/kWh.