Youth Contributions Recognised for First Time at Singapore Energy Award
29 Oct 2019
The four winners receiving the Singapore Energy Award from the Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing this year are:
i. Youth category: Mr Chen Chiu-Hao Ted
ii. Innovation category: Professor Subodh Mhaisalkar
iii. Capabilities Development: Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)
iv. Contributions to the Energy Sector: Union of Power and Gas Employees (UPAGE)
2. The inaugural winner of the Youth category of the SEA is Mr Chen Chiu-Hao Ted, Co-Founder and Chief Product Architect of EverComm Singapore, which was set up in 2013 with help from a grant awarded by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) to the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). Since co-founding Evercomm at the young age of 23, Mr Chen has transformed the company from a start-up into one of Singapore’s leading energy management companies in the energy Internet of Things (IoT) sphere. To date, EverComm's energy analytics products have delivered more than US$3.4 million in energy savings for its clients, and attracted R&D collaboration and partnership from top international enterprises General Electric and TATA Consulting Services.
3. Upon receiving his award, Mr Chen said: “I am humbled and beyond grateful to Singapore’s energy sector and to EMA. It gave me - an inexperienced youth - a rare opportunity to work on one of the grand challenges of the 21st century. That is how to help companies save energy and be more environmentally friendly. Through this, I am confident we can make the transition to smarter and more efficient use of energy. I would also like to call on my fellow youths to join me and others, on the journey to developing a sustainable future for Singapore.”
4. The winner of the SEA for Innovation, Professor Subodh Mhaisalkar is an Executive Director at the Energy Research Institute @ Nanyang Technological University (ERI@N). He has built ERI@N into a leader in academic research and developing a community of energy researchers in Singapore. Professor Subodh has also pushed innovation boundaries by spearheading EcoCampus, a research, design and development programme. Through this programme ERI@N facilitated testbedding of innovative technologies to reduce energy, water and waste intensity at the NTU campus and neighbouring CleanTech Park.
5. SIT was presented with the SEA for Capabilities Development for its pioneering role in leading manpower development in power engineering. In 2013, it was the first local institution of higher learning to offer a dedicated Electrical Power Engineering undergraduate degree, which has helped groom talent for the sector.
6. Beyond its curriculum, SIT has been at the forefront of seeking innovative solutions to enhance its relevance to the energy sector. This can be seen in its ongoing collaboration with SP Group to develop Singapore’s first experimental urban multi-energy micro-grid for education and research at its future centralised campus in Punggol.
7. UPAGE was given the SEA for Contributions to the Energy Sector for its instrumental role in the energy sector’s workforce transformation. In the face of emerging technologies and digitalisation, UPAGE has collaborated with training institutions such as the Singapore Institute of Power and Gas, Employment and Employability Institute and NTUC LearningHub to develop courses with new and specialised digital skills. UPAGE’s efforts in championing skills upgrading has helped keep the power sector’s workforce productive and relevant. (More information on this year's SEA recipients can be found in the Annex).
8. Mr Ngiam Shih Chun, Chief Executive of the Energy Market Authority, said: "This year’s Singapore Energy Award winners reflect the vibrancy in our energy ecosystem, even as we undergo a transformation towards smarter and cleaner use of energy. These award winners have shown that both individuals and organisations can make a difference in keeping our energy sector innovative and forward-looking."
9. The biennial SEA recognises outstanding contributions to Singapore’s energy sector in the areas of capabilities development and innovation. The next SEA will be held in 2021. Nomination will open in the second half of 2020.
Back to Top