Singapore and Hong Kong, China to Boost Bilateral Energy Cooperation
28 Oct 2020
The Energy Market Authority (EMA) of Singapore and the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China have agreed to enhance cooperation towards greater energy security and resilience.
2. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), signed virtually today at the sidelines of the 13th Singapore International Energy Week, provides a framework to promote cooperation and sharing of regulatory practices in three key areas:
i) Electricity and gas systems and markets, including planning and operations;
ii) Renewable energy, energy efficiency and conservation, district cooling, and low carbon technologies such as hydrogen, and carbon capture, utilisation and storage; and
iii)Cooperation at multilateral forums, such as the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
3. Activities between the two agencies will include knowledge and experience sharing, and technical cooperation involving training and exchange programmes between EMA and EMSD.
4. Mr Ngiam Shih Chun, Chief Executive of EMA, welcomed the MOU as a key milestone in EMA’s bilateral cooperation with EMSD. He said: "This MOU demonstrates our commitment to advance our bilateral cooperation even as we deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. The crisis has highlighted the importance of international cooperation in building a resilient and future-ready energy system and workforce.”
5. Mr Eric Pang, Director of EMSD, said: “The MOU will bring closer the co-operation between both sides by deepening the partnership on sharing of knowledge and experiences in energy-related areas. Through strengthening the bilateral ties, the EMSD and EMA are working together towards the vision of a green and sustainable future.”
6. Following the MOU signing, EMA and EMSD discussed the key developments and regulatory challenges facing energy systems. Both parties agreed on the critical need to strengthen energy resilience through innovation and cooperation.
About the Energy Market Authority
The Energy Market Authority (EMA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry. Our main goals are to ensure a reliable and secure energy supply, promote effective competition in the energy market and develop a dynamic energy sector in Singapore. Through our work, EMA seeks to forge a progressive energy landscape for sustained growth.
Website: www.ema.gov.sg | Follow us: Instagram: @EMA_Singapore | Facebook: facebook.com/EnergyMarketAuthority | Twitter: @EMA_sg
About the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department
The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China performs electrical and mechanical (E&M) engineering services through its two functional arms, namely Regulatory Services and Trading Services. The latter is also known as the Electrical and Mechanical Services Trading Fund. Playing a dual role in Hong Kong, China, the EMSD regulates the safe operation of E&M facilities through law enforcement and public education, while providing professional, comprehensive and cost-effective E&M engineering services for government departments and public bodies to enhance the quality of life in the community.
Back to Top