Here’s information about the types of meters and metering options, if you intend to buy electricity from a retailer.
There are two types of electricity meters:
- Most residential premises today use cumulative meters to measure electricity consumption. SP Group sends meter readers to your premises to record your electricity usage from cumulative meters.
- Cumulative meters are read once every two months. On the month where your meter is not read, SP Group will estimate the month’s consumption based on a methodology approved by the Energy Market Authority.
- Advanced meters, also known as smart meters or Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) meters, allow electricity consumption to be measured at half-hourly intervals. With these meters, manual reading and estimation of electricity consumption will no longer be required.
- Consumers with advanced meters can view and download their half-hourly electricity usage when they sign up for an e-Services account.
- There are two types of AMI meters – single-phase and three-phase. The type of meter required for your premises depends on your premises’ voltage intake level. Residential consumers typically require single-phase AMI meters.
You may wish to contact SP Group at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 1800-233-8000 to find out which type of meter is installed at your premises.
If you are eligible to switch to a retailer, the following metering options are available:
- Retain your existing meter and adopt a load profile to estimate your half-hourly electricity consumption; or
- Install an advanced meter to measure your actual consumption on a half-hourly basis. A meter installation fee of $40 (before GST) may apply.
Do I Need an Advanced Meter?
You do not need an advanced meter if you choose the Fixed Price Plan or Discount Off the Regulated Tariff Plan. You can continue to use your existing meter.
You may consider installing an advanced meter for tracking your electricity consumption every half-hour, if you choose a Peak and Off-peak Plan. A meter installation fee of $40 (before GST) may apply.
Alternatively, you can still retain your existing meter, and use a Load Profile to estimate your consumption instead.
What is a Load Profile?
EMA has developed a load profile of the average household in Singapore. This load profile can be applied to the monthly electricity consumption of a household to derive your estimated half-hourly electricity consumption for billing purposes. EMA will periodically update the load profile to ensure that it remains reflective of the average household’s consumption.
Refer to the diagram below for the load profile of an average household.
Based on EMA’s study, households exhibit similar consumption patterns. As such, having a Load Profile is suitable for all households regardless of dwelling types. On the other hand, having a Load Profile is not feasible for businesses as they have different consumption patterns depending on their nature of business.
Business consumers who wish to switch to a retailer will need to install an advanced meter (also known as a smart meter).
The advanced meter will allow you to measure your electricity consumption every half-hour. A meter installation fee of $40 (before GST) may apply.
Back to Top