Gas Safety Regulatory Framework
EMA has implemented a gas safety regulatory framework set out in the Gas Safety Code in the interests of public safety in Singapore.
The framework aims to:
- Protect the public from dangers arising from the production, processing, storage, conveyance, shipping, supply or use of gas;
- Minimise risks associated with:
- gas pipeline rupture and gas leak incidents;
- different operating pressures in various parts of the gas pipeline networks;
- gas usage by consumers;
- Ensure emergency preparedness of all gas licensees in responding to gas related emergencies; and
- Require the relevant gas licensees to promote public awareness of gas safety.
Gas licensees are required to develop robust gas safety plans comprising risk assessment and mitigation, and ensure effective risk mitigation measures in the production, processing, storage, conveyance, shipping, supply or use of gas.
They are also required to demonstrate measures taken to eliminate or reduce the inherent risks in their facilities to such a level that can be deemed to be “as low as reasonably practicable”.
Back to Top