A Singapore Government Agency WebsiteHow to identify

Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg websites
(e.g. go.gov.sg/open).Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock ( )or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Our Energy Story

Overview

Discover how the Singapore Energy Story sets the vision towards a net-zero energy future.

Energy Supply

Gain insights into the four switches that power Singapore’s economy and our daily lives.

Energy Demand

Discover ways to enhance energy efficiency and lower your carbon footprint.

Energy Grid

Explore how EMA ensures a reliable and secure energy supply for everyone.

Energy Market Landscape

Learn about the intricacies of Singapore’s energy market structure and operations.

Consumer Information

Electricity

Get tips on buying electricity and protecting your family from electrical hazards.

Gas

Learn about purchasing gas and safeguarding your family against gas hazards.

Solar

Access information on installing solar panels at your home and selling excess electricity to the national grid.

Regulations & Licences

Regulations

Stay up-to-date with the latest regulations, policies and frameworks governing the energy sector.

Licences

Learn about the licences that EMA issues to different stakeholders in the energy sector.

Regulatory Publications

Read about the Codes of Practice and Circulars that EMA publishes to regulate the energy sector.

Partnerships

Calls for Proposal

Collaborate with EMA in co-creating innovative solutions for the energy sector.

Consultations

Give your comments and feedback on EMA’s policies and regulations.

R&D Partnerships

Discover how EMA works with stakeholders to catalyse new and innovative digital technologies.

Talent Development

Learn about EMA’s efforts in nurturing talent and cultivate interest in the energy sector.

Welcome to EMA’s new website. We would love to get your valuable feedback through FormSG.

Chapter 4: Energy Balance

Electricity Balance

Singapore generated 57.1 TWh of electricity in 2022. Of these, 92.2% (or 52.7 TWh) was generated by Main Power Producers, while the remaining 7.8% (or 4.4 TWh) was by Autoproducers*. Own-use and losses in the Transformation** sector amounted to 1.6 TWh.

 

The Industrial-related and Commerce & Services-related sectors accounted for 41.3% (or 22.7 TWh) and 38.6% (or 21.2 TWh) of Singapore’s total electricity consumption of 54.9 TWh in 2022 respectively. Household and the Transport-related sectors contributed to 14.4% (or 7.9 TWh) and 5.3% (or 2.9 TWh) of total electricity consumption respectively.

*Refers to enterprises that produce electricity but for whom the production is not their principal activity.

**Shows how energy is transformed, transferred, and used by energy industries for their own use and losses in distribution and transmission.

Energy Balance

Electricity Balance 1H 2023
Electricity Balance 2022
Electricity Balance 2021
Electricity Balance 2020
Electricity Balance 2019
Electricity Balance 2018
Electricity Balance 2017

*Data for 2023 is as at Jun-2023.

Natural Gas Balance

The total Natural Gas supply in Singapore was 433,526.0 TJ in 2022. This was contributed by an import of 441,376.3 TJ of Natural Gas into Singapore and a stock build of 7,850.3 TJ from the inventory.

About 366,398.2 TJ of Natural Gas, representing 84.5% of total Natural Gas supply, was used for power generation in 2022. Another 72,881.2 TJ of Natural Gas, which included Town Gas, was consumed directly by end-consumers.

The Industrial-related sector accounted for 88.5% (or 64,495.6 TJ) of total Natural Gas consumption by end-users. The remainder was consumed primarily by users in the Commerce & Services-related sector (7.3% or 5,334.7 TJ) and by Households (3.8% or 2,742.2 TJ).

Natural Gas Balance

Natural Gas Balance 2022
Natural Gas Balance 2021
Natural Gas Balance 2020
Natural Gas Balance 2019
Natural Gas Balance 2018
Natural Gas Balance 2017

[1] Stock Change: A positive figure for stock change denotes a stock draw while a negative figure denotes a stock build.